Filyermskaya Mother of God Russian Orthodox Icon. Apostle Luke painted this icon in the 1st century. The original icon was moved from Jerusalem to Constantinople in the 5th century. The icon was later moved to the island of Rhodes and then to Malta. In 1799 the icon was given to Emperor Paul in Russia. It was brought to Denmark during the Russian Bolshevik Revolution and now resides in the city of Cetina, Montenegro.
#T16 - S (2½" x 3" on ½" wood).
#812 - ML (5" x 6¼" on ¾" wood).
#1159 - L (6¾" x 8¼" on ¾" wood).
Icons manufactured by a Russian supplier using their proprietary process of applying successive layers of color and metallic-like patterns resulting in a brilliant, detailed, and nearly three dimensional appearance.
Icon inscriptions in Church Slavonic.