Christ Made Without Hands, another version showing a history of the icon. Russian Orthodox icon. King Abgar of Edessa (a city now located in modern day Syria) was ill with leprosy. He heard about Christ's miracles and sent his court artist Ananias to ask Christ to come and heal him. Christ did not come but blessed Ananias to paint his image on a cloth. But Ananias failed to adequately capture His Image so Jesus took the cloth and pressed it against His Face and His Image miraculously appeared on the cloth. When King Abgar touched the cloth his leprosy fell away except for a few spots, which later fell away when Apostle Thaddeus baptized him. King Abgar hung the icon in the city gateway, where it remained until it was transferred to Constantinople in 944 AD. The original icon was lost during the sack of Constantinople in 1204 AD by the western Crusaders.
#A817 - ML (5" x 6¼" on ¾" wood).
#1224 - L (6¾" x 8¼" on ¾" wood).
Icons manufactured by a Russian supplier using their proprietary process of applying successive layers of color and metallic-like patterns resulting in a brilliant, detailed, and nearly three dimensional appearance.
Icon inscriptions in Church Slavonic.