Andronikovskaya Mother of God (Theotokos). Russian Orthodox Icon. The original version of the Andronikovskaya Mother of God Icon is believed to have been painted by Apostle Luke. The icon belonged to the Byzantine Emperor Andronicus III Paleologus in the mid-1300s. The emperor sent the icon to the Peloponnese region of Greece. It was then sent to Russia in 1839 and eventually was kept at the Kazan women's monastery located in the Tver Province. The original icon was stolen in 1984 and its current location is unknown.
#1061 - L (6¾" x 9⅜" on ¾" wood).
Icons manufactured by a Russian supplier using their proprietary process of applying successive layers of color and metallic-like patterns resulting in a brilliant, detailed, and nearly three dimensional appearance.
Icon inscriptions in Church Slavonic.